Thursday, December 27, 2007

What do you guys think of this?

Have any of you heard of Google's "Street Map" function? Well, if any of you have used Google Maps for driving directions or to find an address, this function takes it one step farther and shows you, at street level (hence the name), your home.

Google brought its satellite cam truck to Indianapolis recently, and apparently decided to cruise around Muncie too because, lo and behold, here's Nick and I's home:


What's ironic about this is that, despite getting a bird's eye view of our house, they labeled our address wrong (they say it is "approximately" 672 N. Brentwood Ln. Umm ... well, I live there, and last time I checked, the numbers over our garage read 608!)

My understanding is that, eventually, Google wants to take "Street View" everywhere. So what do you guys think about this feature? Is it a gross invasion of privacy? Is it a way for us to all feel "closer," as a Ball State professor says in this Indianapolis Star story?

I don't really know how I feel about the function yet, but I do see it as a sign of the times that, with today's technology, there's no such thing, really, as privacy. (and I'm just glad Nick and I weren't out working in the yard when this shot was taken -- apparently, there's a Web site out already of odd things and or people caught in unflattering "Street View" images. You can check that out here.)

(On an unrelated note, if any Mac users out there ever need to know how to do screen captures like the one above, I found this Web site to be a big help with this post and some other fun Mac tricks!)

No comments: