Friday, December 14, 2007

A sweet tooth no more ...

This week we had a Christmas cookie exchange at work. Feeling motivated, I thought it'd be a blast from the past to make homemade cookies, the kind mom used to make dozens upon dozens of when I was a kid and that my brother Mark would make his sole food group through January.

What was I THINKING? I knew there would be work involved here, but I have a whole new level of respect for all those years my mom made these sweets (and better understand why she's less inclined nowadays to make them!) Making the dough from scratch, rolling it out, cutting the shapes, baking the cookies (only one out of eight dozen burnt!), making the frosting and then frosting them -- I think this may be a once-every-five-years kind of treat!

You can tell by this photo that I was making these late at night
(and at that hour, there's no such thing as natural light! :)

cookie3


Half-way there!

cookie2

A sea of cookies (and sadly, as good as they turned out - they don't even make my mouth water at the moment. I'm still suffering from that 72-hour, I-just-made-too -much-of-something-and-if-I-look-at--or-taste-another-one-I-may-hurl" feeling. Does anyone else every get that way after cooking a big meal?)

cookie5

If anyone wants the recipe -- let me know - they really are super good and perfect for dunking in milk!

No comments: