Thursday, May 1, 2008

For the love of etsy

I mentioned before how much I love etsy.

If you're unfamiliar, etsy is this great place where you can buy art, jewelry and crafts from small (some would say "starving") artists (but not "starving" like those creepy "Starving Artist" sales you sometimes see advertised on TV. You know the ones I'm talking about - those gawdy canvas-size prints that "MUST GO" for as low as $19.99? And they're always held in some hotel? Blech ...)

The beauty of the Internet has brought together this fantastic community and, if you're an admirer of all things creative, well ... you'll fall in love with etsy. It's pretty much inevitable.

Until recently, I'd just spent hours looking at all the amazing stuff on this site. But with remodeling the den and feeling the itch for some new art, I went ahead and made a few purchases.

I'm starting to think I'm in trouble now because the whole experience was so, so lovely!

First thing I scooped up? This print from artist John Golden. I LOVE his stuff - and have for a long time - so it was a pleasure to get my Chucks print in the mail.

Den remodel and new Etsy art purchases


Then, what does John go and do? He gives me this sweet little thank you note along with this teeny-tiny little robot print. Getting something from an artist when you don't expect it? It's like finding an extra present under the tree on Christmas morning!

Den remodel and new Etsy art purchases


Den remodel and new Etsy art purchases


Another etsy artist I love is Elizabeth Scott. Her jewelry is timeless and has these great ties to nature. So I had (HAD) to have these hydrangea petal earrings I'd been keeping my eye on for months. And yippy skippy if they didn't come in the most adorable little packaging. SO much more fun than buying jewelry at the Macy's counter!

Den remodel and new Etsy art purchases


I've already shown you the great WW2-era "Keep Calm" poster I bought from this artist, so I'll show you my favorite purchase of the lot. For those of you who've been to Nick and I's house, you know we have a retro theme to our kitchen (our house, built in the '50s, still has its original sea-foam green metal cabinets. It sounds gross but our home's previous owners made it work and now we love them). So when I saw these next two prints (knowing I'd been looking for something to hang on a blank wall in our kitchen) well, HOW COULD I RESIST? They are TOO PERFECT!

Den remodel and new Etsy art purchases


Their creator, dazeychic, makes really sweet stuff - some of which would be perfect for a little girl's room.

A lot of why I wanted to write this post was to encourage you all to start buying from etsy vendors. It's easy to do, especially if you use PayPal, and I can now say from experience every artist I purchased from got their goods to me quick and went out of their way to personalize the packages with sweet notes or extra gifts (dazeychic included an adorable notecard in her shipment). How great would it be to do your gift shopping from home AND get your friends something they wouldn't find at the mall? Priceless, as those Mastercard ads say.... and if you want some pointers on cool artists, give me a holla!

1 comment:

Betsy King said...

I love it alllll!!

Keep them coming! i want some fun stuff to hang in my kitchen combined with my photos. (and perhaps bobbi's too.)