Sunday, May 4, 2008

A cell phone without a camera? Not anymore!

When it comes to being a gear head, I pick and choose what to obsess over.

Camera equipment? Check.

Computers? Check.

Cell phones? Well .... not so much.

I'm not big on talking on the phone (problematic given how many of my family members live far away), which is probably why, in the past 10 years, I have owned exactly two cell phones (and people, we are living in a day and age where people change their cell phones as frequently as their underwear!)

I'd been using my husband's old cell phone (circa 2003) for ages but wanted a new phone with better texting capabilities since, yes, I did what I told myself I would never do -- fall in love with text messaging. I was going to purchase a new phone last fall, after Verizon told me I could upgrade since my contract was up for renewal. So I set up an appointment, went in, and WAITED TWO HOURS in line - even though I had an appointment! I left the store empty-handed, believing if Dante was putting together a modern-day nine circles of hell, the inside of a Verizon Wireless store would have to be among them.

I thought I'd hold out for an iPhone, but I just can't part with that kind of cash yet while trying to invest in camera equipment. Which means I was elated last night when Nick's buddy, Brian, told me about the wonderful perks of buying a new Verizon phone online. And here's what the lame customer service reps at Verizon won't tell you in person: You get a $50 ONLINE REBATE if you upgrade your phone over the Internet. That's on top of the discounts you get for renewing your contract. Since I'd never had a problem with my Verizon phone service, it sounded like a win-win deal. So, for $30 (and no one-time activation fee - oh yeah, you heard me right on that one), check out what the lovely FedEx man will be bringing me this week:





(I know it's silly of me to blog about a cell phone, but I figured if I didn't know about Verizon's awesome online discounts, chances were others didn't either so I thought I'd share this little nugget and maybe help someone else save some cash -- and hours in line in Verizon purgatory -- the next time they need a new phone.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

okay scott davis

Bob Foster said...

Verizon is now making customers wait 4 months longer for a cell phone upgrade, but I also keep my phones a long time. I know for sure I have some phones from 8-9 years ago.