Saturday, March 29, 2008

Running long ... runnin' on empty

I should have known better than to wear heels. But it's not every day the daughter of a President comes to campus, right?

When Chelsea Clinton came to Ball State last week, I had to work the event -- one of my first in my new role with Ball State's media relations team. So, of course, I wanted to look the part. Best suit, best dress shirt, heels ... heels I had to then stand around in for FOUR HOURS during the event!

If I was Carrie Bradshaw, maybe this wouldn't have been a problem, but nowadays, as a runner, I know this is a big mistake. With tender legs all week, I dreaded Nick and I's 10-miler Sunday. It was the longest distance we had to go before the Mini in May, and by willpower alone was I able to put one foot in front of the other and finish the run in about 1:40. Not a record-setting pace by any means, but that's not what running is about for me. Never has been, never will be.

No, for me it's enough to push myself up over that hump of discouragement -- the one that can be such a hindrance in real life -- and know that mentally and physically I can conquer something bigger than myself. Of course, feeling good in my favorite pair of blue jeans while rewarding myself with a scoop of cookie dough ice cream helps too.



Shoe

1 comment:

me said...

Oh Gail. Heels....have I taught you nothing? ha ha. Just kidding.

But it is amazing how we can motivate ourselves when needed. And now, after coming in #2 in the office weight loss challenge, I have all kinds of motivation to kick some a**.