Friday, February 22, 2008

What I'll miss about my job

As excited as I am about my new job, what I'll miss most about working for a newspaper is all the amazing stories I've gotten to tell over the past few years.

I'm reminded of this today as I wrap up some stories I'm writing about the Burrows family.

I first met Claudia, 46, her son, Christopher, 10, and Amy, 37, the family's close friend and live-in health aide, a few weeks back. At the time, I was writing about their efforts to raise money for a guide dog for Christopher, who is developmentally disabled (I'm thrilled to say, a month later, the family is within a few hundred dollars of their $14,000 goal!)

Back to the Burrows. All three of Claudia's children have Fragile X, and Christopher, 10, has demands that would frazzle the most fit, most attentive, most prepared parent.

Sadly, Claudia is dying of Lou Gehrig's disease. She was diagnosed three years ago. Can you imagine? A healthy woman who loved her job as a helicopter paramedic and nurse, a coping single mother, Claudia was delivered a death sentence before her 50th birthday.

It's been meeting people like Claudia over the past four years that has kept me grounded. Reminded of how blessed my own life is. And shown me that a bad day on my end, when maybe I'm grumbling about a flat tire, would be one of Claudia's best days if she could just physically change that tire herself.

I thought I'd share the story of Claudia with you and let you read some of her own words through her blog. She is an amazing person coping with a disease that would test anyone's faith. When you read about her struggles, you can't help but be humbled by her resolve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fragile X Syndrome!?! It's so surreal learning about rare, debilitating diseases, but you've actually gained real insight into their effects on real lives. I really admire your work and perspective. You have touched so many with your work... I know you will continue to do so wherever life may take you.