Monday, February 18, 2008

Putting things in perspective

It's hard for me to believe that, within a matter of days, I'll be hanging up my press pass. But I feel more and more like it is a good decision for me (and Nick, also a journalist) not to put all our eggs in one basket, as the old saying goes, especially when I read stories with facts like these:

The big problem is newspapers, which account for half (82,800) of media jobs lost since 2000. One in four newspaper jobs have disappeared since newspaper employment peaked in 1990.

Newspapers, saddled with heavy costs of printing and distribution, last year accounted for 38% of U.S. media jobs, down from 50% in 1990.

It's depressing, but as one co-worker shared with me recently, "Sounds like you're getting out while the getting is good."

No comments: