Monday, February 4, 2008

Photos on a photo blog? What???

Somehow, in the past 10 days, my hubby has found a way to get Internet working on our computer again.

It's slow. There's no sound. But ... after weeks with no home Internet, having a connection again -- even one as rocky as this -- is GLORIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick is covering city council tonight, so I thought I'd hop on Flickr (which I haven't done in a while) and troll some of my photo groups. Doing so, I've come across some photos I shot of my grandmother, Juanita, MONTHS ago - when she and I sat down to get crafty together one afternoon (I have to say my grandma, at 89, is wicked cool. We share such a close bond and have so much in common. Consider: She taught me to knit, she's down with celebs (I'll never forget when she asked about Kid Rock and Pamela Anderson after reading about them in a column of mine for the paper), she loves shoes, she loves to read - need I describe myself more? haha)

I love her so much, and in this coming year, I want to photograph more of her life (and that of my other living grandparent - my grandpa, Ken) because I know time with our loved ones can be cut short before we're ready for it to be. In keeping this goal, I hope to document a few memories that can be passed down to other loved ones in years to come.

Grandma tackling another quilt project. For the one-year wedding anniversaries of all us grandkids, she gives each of us quilts -- with EVERY STITCH hand-done. Over Christmas, she gave Nick and I ours, a beautiful cream-on-cream creation with an intricate pattern I just adore.

1107_grandma

Detail shot of a few of thousands (!) of her hand stitches

1107_grandmadetail

I am in love with this photo. Because some day, when Grandma is no longer living, it'll be an image like this that will define her (both to me and to my own children someday). She's doing what she loves - and, for that reason - this is my favorite shot of her.

1107_grandmab&w

1 comment:

Ellen said...

This is a nice entry, Gail.
Happy V Day!