Thursday, November 8, 2007

Not a good night


So the picture to the left of this entry of journalist Lisa Ling was GOING to be the fantastic photo I snapped of her while covering her appearance tonight at Ball State. But that idea got thrown out the window a) after learning all of my shots were crap and b) discovering that -- in the process of my co-worker teaching me how to reformat my memory card -- I had erased all images from that evening. Not that they were anything to write home about ...

What tonight taught me is that this photography stuff is HARD. It's easy to capture great images when you have available light. It's quite another when you're in a setting with HORRIBLE lighting, no off-camera flash, and an inability -- no matter how hard you fiddle with aperture/shutter speed and ISO -- to capture anything that resembles less than a blur without help from a faster lens (why oh WHY did I not bring my 50mm f/1.8?) and a tripod.

I don't want what happened tonight to be a deterrent in my becoming a better photographer (even though, after something like this, it's easy to think I'm NEVER going to get the hang of this).Rather, I want tonight to be a learning experience. Here's hoping that, with diligence, hard work and patience, I'm able to capture better shots the next time someone famous comes to town!

(By the way: Lisa's presentation was fantastic!)

No comments: